One of the first things the environment team did was to decide on a setting for our game. To do this, we took the gauges agreed upon by the artists which determined where our aesthetic would lie in a few dichotomies such as: science vs magic, organic vs synthetic, metal vs natural etc, and we duplicated them on a large whiteboard for all in the environment team to see. Then we set out an open invitation for environment team members who wanted to, to bring examples via concept art to the following meeting and pitch what they imagine for the world of our game. It was decided that we would combine the two most popular ideas. The first was that of a dormant/ruined city that they player activates in pieces, and the second was a Cthulhu/Zerg inspired world with crystalline pillar structures.
Once the aesthetic was agreed upon, we were able to buckle down and get to work. We decided to go for a conveyor belt style approach: Ben generated ideas for environmental interactions, Mukul would prototype those interactions, and Tony and Chris would make the world feel alive by creating the 3D art that would accompany those interactions.Up next we aim to playtest these interactions and see which lend the most to interesting gameplay choices and/or improvisation from players.