After our first sprint review, we received a lot of valuable feedback. To address the largest concerns, it was clear that we had to set stern deadlines. After the milestone, we would not be designing anything new. We had to iterate off of the mechanics and systems we had.
One of the first things the environment team did was to decide on a setting for our game. To do this, we took the gauges agreed upon by the artists which determined where our aesthetic would lie in a few dichotomies such as: science vs magic, organic vs synthetic, metal vs natural etc, and we duplicated them on a large whiteboard for all in the environment team to see. Then we set out an open invitation for environment team members who wanted to, to bring examples via concept art to the following meeting and pitch what they imagine for the world of our game. It was decided that we would combine the two most popular ideas. The first was that of a dormant/ruined city that they player activates in pieces, and the second was a Cthulhu/Zerg inspired world with crystalline pillar structures.